I was born in Enniskillen, County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland, in 1959, and was educated at Campbell College (a Grammar School) in Belfast, Northern Ireland, and later at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama in London, England.
And if my calculations are correct, I've been doing this for 36 years, so because a lot of you will be to young to remember Play For Today, Crown Court, The Wednesday Play etc, below are the more significant contributions I've made to this ever changing profession of ours!
You will have most recently seen me as Doctor Black, a regular in the BBC1 Sunday night drama, "My Mother and Other Strangers"
List of films have appeared in
A lot of people don't realise that I have been on "The Big Screen"
- 1982 Ascendancy
- 1984 Mike Leigh's Four Days in July
- 1985 Cranham in Wilt
- 1986 Trigger in Alan Clarke's The Firm
- 2000 Ferguson in Puckoon
- 2014 Dream On
- I'm currently waiting to finish a film called James Coburn and The Rum Bastards!
I have featured in...
Stage really is one of my greatest passions, and have been thrilled to be involved in some amazing productions.
- 1982, I joined the highly thought of Hull Truck for the original production of Diary Of A Hunger Strike, playing the lead.
- 1983, a season with The RSC, appearing in Volpone, Henry V111, Comedy of Errors, Julius Caeser and Breaking The Ice by Jeremy Brock.
- 1986, I played Pete in the highly controversial and successful Peter Gill production of The Murderers at The National Theatre.
- 1988 brought more ground-breaking theatre, with Michael Bogdanovs the Henry's with The English Shakespeare Company's award winning world tour, playing Ned Poins and Captain Macmorris.
- 2001 A rather large TV program kept me off the boards then, until a return to the West End in Art, playing Mark, Still my favourite ever job.
- 2005 I played Mickey Bridge and Soldier A in the Olivier Award winning, Saville Report at The Tricycle. Then my first Musical, Buffalo Bill in Annie Get Your Gun.
- 2009 up to The Glasgow Citz to play Frank in Educating Rita and the same year, Doctor Bruener in a number one tour of Rainman.
- 2010 a return to The Citz and tour of The Blue Hen
- 2011 the original Corrie The Play as the Narrator.
I have featured in...
This is probably what I am most associated with, well one show in particular!
- 1982 Jocyce in June at The BBC, followed by Harry's Game playing Seamus for ITV.
- 1985, an SS Officer in Hitlers SS.
- 1986 Tommy in Upline for C4, then a couple of episodes of Boon.
- 1987 I became a regular in Bread, playing Yizzel for 5 series.
- 1987 for the next 11 years, it was Coronation Street and Jim McDonald. What a brilliant role.
- 2002: The Bill, the most recent of three appearances in this series, I played a nutter called Alan.
- 2003 Mike Marshall a P.I. in In Deep. 2003, Brian Taylor in Holby City, and then to a regular in Doctors as surgeon Bill Mcabe. Charlie Stubbs in Dalziel and Pascoe and the back to Coronation Street for a few months.
- 2004 Sir Alexander Carlisle in Titanic Birth of a Legend.
- 2005 Bingham in Rosemary and Thyme
- 2006 PC Stan Drinkwater in Casualty.
- 2007 returned to Coronation Street for another spell.
- 2008, the first of a few documentaries made about me, The Troubles I've seen.
- 2011 Back again to The Street. And again the following year for a good run.
- 2015, Brendan in Brotherhood for Comedy Central.